2015/06/27

How I started windsurfing and kitesurfing

Kiteboarding is a natural extension of windsurfing.  

In 1987, I went to Texas to study at the University of Texas at Austin.  I spent one weekend at Lake Travis and saw people boating on the lake and decided I have to get one boat and do the same thing.  A few months later, I bought a dingy and starting learning sailing from a sailing book.   I leaned to tack and jibe on all lakes around Austin.  

Later, I felt the dingy is too slow for me and like a vessel that can go faster. Being too poor as a student, I could not afford a bigger sail boat, I found windsurfer could go faster and fulfill my quest for speed.  I bought a second-hand windsurfer and started my windsurfing career.  I was hooked to windsurfing the moment my board started planning on the water.  I became more addicted as my skill improved.  I was willing to spend 5 hours driving from Austin to Corpus Christi just to get the best windsurfing condition on weekends.

I shipped two windsurfing boards and some sails back to Taiwan when I finished my Ph.D. study at UT.  I would never give up windsurfing at any cost. Later, I moved to Penghu at age of 41 in order to pursue the best wind and wave for windsurfing in 2003.  

I was attracted to kiteboarding in 2004 when one friend started to to do it.  My daughter, Karen, and I started to learn kiteboarding together at that time.  I was catapulted by a C-shaped kite in my third session.  This incident  stopped our kiteboarding pursuit for 5 years.  I decided to learn kite boarding again in 2009 when bow kite was introduced.  It was an instant success, I stopped windsurfing immediately and spent all my leisure time improving my kitesurfing skill.  Two years later, Karen joined force and we became the kitesurfing duo on Penghu Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment